• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

SRM/EBC/Lovibond conversion

esdill

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Most of the recipes I find show the grain ingredients listed as SRM, yet the sites from which I order my ingredients show the grain as Lovibond. I must open a different tool to convert SRM to Lovibond in order to select the best grain for the recipe. For example the recipe calls for 2-row Pale Ale at 3.5 SRM, and the website shows a selection of Breiss 2-row at 1.5-2.1L, GWM 2-row at 1.8-2.2L, GWM Northwest Pale Ale at 2.6-3.0L, Breiss Pale Ale at 3.5L, Briess Maris Otter at 2.5-3.5L, or Golden Promise at 2.0-3.0L.

Converting 3.5 SRM to Lovibond gives me 3.1L ... so I can select Northwest Pale Ale, Maris Otter, or Golden Promise to get close to the 3.5 SRM called for in the recipe.

It would be nice if the recipe and/or shopping list showed both SRM and Lovibond values for the grains to make the selection easier during ordering.

This has been discussed many times in the past.  Based upon my recalculations of color (using the Morey equation which is what BeerSmith uses), the grain color SHOULD be listed as Lovibond.  At last for US malsters, Lovibond is the standard for color of their grains.  SRM is used to measure wort color.  EBC is used for wort color and grain color by most other maltsters world-wide and they usually provide conversion numbers into Lovibond. 

Based upon this, I have concluded that the grain color should be entered into BeerSmith as Lovibond, even though it is marked as SRM in the profiles.  Doing this, I have pretty much hit the color estimations by BeerSmith every time within a point or two (usually darker since I do longer boils).  While I don't test every brew, I have done enough over a wide enough range of colors to satisfy myself of the above stated claim.

Back