Author Topic: German brewer needs help on recipe  (Read 2581 times)

Offline Nuns Court Brewer

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
German brewer needs help on recipe
« on: October 10, 2017, 11:53:51 AM »
Hello homebrewers of the world,

I am using the BeerSmith tool for my home brewing. Three IPA brewing sessions went fine, now I got a problem with my fourth session.

I tried to brew a Porter and, yes, we made some mistakes but nothing serious. We reached the OG of 9.5 Plato and the FG should be 3 Plato. It has been fermenting for 5 weeks now and it still stays at 5 Plato (since two weeks now).

Two days ago I added an additional 100ml Edinburgh Scottish Ale yeast (as used in the original recipe) and added 35 gr. Magnum hops for dry-hopping. I rised the temperature in the basement from 20 to 24 degrees (Centigrade) ... nothing happens, still 5 Plato ...

I have also attached brew steps.

Any ideas? Your help and support is very much appreciated ...

Best regards from Frankfurt/Germany,

The Nuns Court Brewer

Offline Ck27

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith's Unofficial Spam Police.... Do Not Spam
Re: German brewer needs help on recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 12:06:31 PM »
Hello homebrewers of the world,

I am using the BeerSmith tool for my home brewing. Three IPA brewing sessions went fine, now I got a problem with my fourth session.

I tried to brew a Porter and, yes, we made some mistakes but nothing serious. We reached the OG of 9.5 Plato and the FG should be 3 Plato. It has been fermenting for 5 weeks now and it still stays at 5 Plato (since two weeks now).

Two days ago I added an additional 100ml Edinburgh Scottish Ale yeast (as used in the original recipe) and added 35 gr. Magnum hops for dry-hopping. I rised the temperature in the basement from 20 to 24 degrees (Centigrade) ... nothing happens, still 5 Plato ...

I have also attached brew steps.

Any ideas? Your help and support is very much appreciated
Best regards from Frankfurt/Germany,

The Nuns Court Brewer

...if the final gravity hasn't moved for that long it's done if it bad been a stuck ferment it would have went away after adding more yeast

Offline Oginme

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 12:46:34 PM »
Are you measuring your Final Gravity with a hydrometer or a refractometer.  If using a refractometer, then you must make a correction for the alcohol content.  You can do this using the refractometer tool in BeerSmith.
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline Nuns Court Brewer

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 03:11:32 AM »
Thanks for your kind support ... at the moment I use a hydrometer. I think I will test with filling 6 bottles and see what happens.

Thanks agin and cheers ...

Offline GlediBr

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 04:42:28 AM »
Guten Tag, Greetings from Mannheim :)
Could it be that your mashing Profile produced to much of unfermentable Sugars? probably you know that higher mashing temperatures will result in high molecular weight Sugars.
i hope it helps
Gru