• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

German brewer needs help on recipe

Nuns Court Brewer

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello homebrewers of the world,

I am using the BeerSmith tool for my home brewing. Three IPA brewing sessions went fine, now I got a problem with my fourth session.

I tried to brew a Porter and, yes, we made some mistakes but nothing serious. We reached the OG of 9.5 Plato and the FG should be 3 Plato. It has been fermenting for 5 weeks now and it still stays at 5 Plato (since two weeks now).

Two days ago I added an additional 100ml Edinburgh Scottish Ale yeast (as used in the original recipe) and added 35 gr. Magnum hops for dry-hopping. I rised the temperature in the basement from 20 to 24 degrees (Centigrade) ... nothing happens, still 5 Plato ...

I have also attached brew steps.

Any ideas? Your help and support is very much appreciated ...

Best regards from Frankfurt/Germany,

The Nuns Court Brewer

Attachments

• Nuns Court Porter.pdf
    149.8 KB · Views: 8
Nuns Court Brewer said:
Hello homebrewers of the world,

I am using the BeerSmith tool for my home brewing. Three IPA brewing sessions went fine, now I got a problem with my fourth session.

I tried to brew a Porter and, yes, we made some mistakes but nothing serious. We reached the OG of 9.5 Plato and the FG should be 3 Plato. It has been fermenting for 5 weeks now and it still stays at 5 Plato (since two weeks now).

Two days ago I added an additional 100ml Edinburgh Scottish Ale yeast (as used in the original recipe) and added 35 gr. Magnum hops for dry-hopping. I rised the temperature in the basement from 20 to 24 degrees (Centigrade) ... nothing happens, still 5 Plato ...

I have also attached brew steps.

Any ideas? Your help and support is very much appreciated
Best regards from Frankfurt/Germany,

The Nuns Court Brewer

...if the final gravity hasn't moved for that long it's done if it bad been a stuck ferment it would have went away after adding more yeast

Are you measuring your Final Gravity with a hydrometer or a refractometer.  If using a refractometer, then you must make a correction for the alcohol content.  You can do this using the refractometer tool in BeerSmith.

Thanks for your kind support ... at the moment I use a hydrometer. I think I will test with filling 6 bottles and see what happens.

Thanks agin and cheers ...

Guten Tag, Greetings from Mannheim :)
Could it be that your mashing Profile produced to much of unfermentable Sugars? probably you know that higher mashing temperatures will result in high molecular weight Sugars.
i hope it helps
Gru

Back