• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

No activity after pitching yeast 24 hours ago

Jim Endo

Apprentice
Reaction score
I bought a one gallon beer kit that I intended to give as a Christmas present last year.  After closer inspection the kit was really intended for someone that had more equipment so it stayed on the shelf. After getting a wild hair yesterday I decided what the heck and brewed it up.  (Most everything had expired) My original gravity was spot on and I pitched the yeast at 68* Still over 24 hours later there is no activity.  (and about 2 inches of trub in the bottom of the one gallon fermenter).  It's still in the chiller at 65* would you add fresh yeast and hope for the best, or am I doomed? Cheers.....

Jim

Jim Endo said:
I bought a one gallon beer kit that I intended to give as a Christmas present last year.  After closer inspection the kit was really intended for someone that had more equipment so it stayed on the shelf. After getting a wild hair yesterday I decided what the heck and brewed it up.  (Most everything had expired) My original gravity was spot on and I pitched the yeast at 68* Still over 24 hours later there is no activity.  (and about 2 inches of trub in the bottom of the one gallon fermenter).  It's still in the chiller at 65* would you add fresh yeast and hope for the best, or am I doomed? Cheers.....

Jim

Add fresh yeast

Thanks for the reply, do you think I have another 48 hours? I had to Amazon Prime some yeast.... I was going to try it anyway. Just checking to see if anyone else would chime in with a similar experience.... Thanks again.

I wouldn't say you are doomed. I was looking up the same info just yesterday and there were some posts here and on other forums that mentioned going as long as 72 hours. I was looking because I was getting no activity either. So I got another PKG of the same yeast and pitched again right around the 72 hour mark. The funny thing is, I use the Fast Fermenter and since it is translucent I couldn't tell until I opened the top that there has been some activity. But I had already cut the PKG open to minimize air exposure to the beer, so I pitched the yeast anyway. For home from work today and I could tell by the airlock there was some good stuff going on.
If no activity when you get your yeast I think you'd be ok to pitch it.

Good luck.

It depends on the yeast. If it was dry yeast the package will last a long time if kept under even moderately cool conditions. If the yeast had low viability it would take them a long time to grow their little army enough for you to see the results, and longer at 65 F than 68 F or warmer. I wouldn't give up on them yet. If there was no sign of activity after 3 or 4 days, then I would give up on them and send in reinforcements.

--GF

well this morning I went and took a peek. This looks like something is going south.[ Is this what an infection looks like? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_2213.JPG
    IMG_2213.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 13
Jim Endo said:
well this morning I went and took a peek. This looks like something is going south.[ Is this what an infection looks like? Thanks for your help.

That does look dicey

Well I've never had anything like that happen before. Everything was new equipment wise ( I cleaned and sanitized prior to using ) wonder if it's time to dump it and try over with fresh ingredients?

Looks like break material. I should settle out with the yeast when active fermentation is done.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.... Seeing that made me pretty nervous. I usually see yeast actively moving through the liquid. I guess I'll stay the course. I have made a temperature adjustment to 67*.  I'll keep posting for those that are interested.

Jim

So here is the updated picture for day 3.... Looking a little better. What do you think?

I still say you're probably OK. Give it a couple of weeks and if it smells and tastes good at bottling time it's a winner.

Back