• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Tun addition

maxlc

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm currently in the final stage of building my E-BIAB setup.

My current profile equipment includes a 1 vessel BIAB without a false bottom.

My E-BIAB setup will include a BIAB false bottom (bigger holes) in order to prevent the bag from touching the heating element and not restraining the flow of the mash (pump recirculation). There are 2 gallons of wort fitting under the false bottom. (2 gallons "mash tun addition")

My only concern is that when I switch from my BIAB profile (0 mash tun addition) to my E-BIAB profile (2 gallons mash tun addition), I don't see any changes in the total volume of strike water nor the water/grain ratio even though 2 gallons of water will not be in direct contact with the mash bag.

Am I doing something wrong?
Is there something I didn't understand correctly?

Cheers,

Max

If you are doing a full volume BIAB mash, then you will not see any change in the water volumes.  Regardless of how much water is under the false bottom, if you recover it (which is what the mash tun addition is set to accomplish) it will not affect your total volume.  If your volume under the mash tun were dead space loss, then the program would add that volume to compensate for the wort left behind in the mash tun.

Oginme said:
If you are doing a full volume BIAB mash, then you will not see any change in the water volumes.  Regardless of how much water is under the false bottom, if you recover it (which is what the mash tun addition is set to accomplish) it will not affect your total volume.  If your volume under the mash tun were dead space loss, then the program would add that volume to compensate for the wort left behind in the mash tun.

Oh!

I had in mind that because my grain bag would not be in direct contact with the 2 gallons of water under the false bottom, the water/grain ratio would drop and I would need to add more water to have my full volume in contact with the grain at all time.

I guess I was wrong!

Thank you.

There's really no need for all of the water to be in contact with the grain.

Back