• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What kind of hops do you guys prefer??

Ck27

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Do you guys prefer pellet whole leaf or whole hops?? I personally use pellets and whole leaf a lot. But think whole leaf has a better flavor than. Pellets and Smell way better.

I use pellets almost exclusively as do most breweries. They take a lot less space to store, degrade more slowly, absorb a lot less wort and net a little more efficiency. If you prefer the flavor and aroma characteristics of whole leaf and are willing to accept the negatives, go for it.
Sierra Nevada does just that.

I use whole whenever possible. I cringe every time I have to buy pellets because I hate the hop trub left behind.

Kevin58 said:
I use whole whenever possible. I cringe every time I have to buy pellets because I hate the hop trub left behind.

Same, I hate hope pellet sludge in my robobrew, plugs up the pump. I prefer to use while leaf as they get caught on the screen at the bottom of the robobrew. So I can just dump them out and move on :).

Ck27 said:
Kevin58 said:

Same, I hate hope pellet sludge in my robobrew, plugs up the pump. I prefer to use while leaf as they get caught on the screen at the bottom of the robobrew. So I can just dump them out and move on :).

There are several different types of hop spider now, you guys should check them out.
I currently use a traditional hop spider [3 metal arms with a hoop in center to hang a hop bag from] but am considering upgrading to the SS cylinder that just hangs from the side. Makes it easier to stir...
But an form of hop spider will GREATLY reduce clogging of Grainfather/Robobrew filters.

That being said, I have not been satisfied with the results I had they few times I've used leaf hops so I now use pellet hops exclusively.

Hello!

I am Eric Nikki from (Haltom city) USA.

Our hop inventory contains over 80 different types of hops to support all the styles you can brew. The piney, the earthy and herbal, the spicy, and/or the dank citrus beasts. We carry the majority of the most popular types for beer making, including both whole and pellet hops from all across the world. :)

Back