• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How do you clean tubing

Jim Endo

Apprentice
Reaction score
Does anyone else have an issue with sticky tubing. I use PBW to clean with and leave them to soak in Starsan.  They end up sticky?  I get that hoses need to be replaces but it seems like it happens right away, is there something wrong with my process

Jim Endo said:
Does anyone else have an issue with sticky tubing. I use PBW to clean with and leave them to soak in Starsan.  They end up sticky?  I get that hoses need to be replaces but it seems like it happens right away, is there something wrong with my process

Star san is acid PBW is acidic they are dissolving part of the tubing!

PBW is alkaline, StarSan is acidic. I don't think you want to soak hoses long term in either one. Rinse with clear water right away. Use a line cleaning brush (e.g. https://www.morebeer.com/products/line-brush-12-48.html?site_id=7) appropriately sized for your tubing, with PBW to scrub the inside. Rinse with  StarSan if you have some available and feel like using it, but there is absolutely no reason to soak anything in StarSan for more than a few minutes. Then hang vertically to drip and dry, preferably in full sun, but anywhere warm enough to dry out reasonably fast. Full sun can eventually cause your tubing to dry out and crack, but all that UV is great for killing bacteria.

--GF

GigaFemto said:
PBW is alkaline, StarSan is acidic. I don't think you want to soak hoses long term in either one. Rinse with clear water right away. Use a line cleaning brush (e.g. https://www.morebeer.com/products/line-brush-12-48.html?site_id=7) appropriately sized for your tubing, with PBW to scrub the inside. Rinse with  StarSan if you have some available and feel like using it, but there is absolutely no reason to soak anything in StarSan for more than a few minutes. Then hang vertically to drip and dry, preferably in full sun, but anywhere warm enough to dry out reasonably fast. Full sun can eventually cause your tubing to dry out and crack, but all that UV is great for killing bacteria.

--GF

Yeah, star San is a mild acid it will harm tubing discolor it and make it breakdown. But it kills everything so it's great I sterilize my gear with strictly star San and never once had any issues whatsoever. It's a great product and never fails to clean stuff. :)

A thorough hot water rinse right after use and hang to dry. Soak in Starsan for a few minutes immediately before next use. If you're anal about water deposits, dip in Starsan before drying.

Ck27 said:
GigaFemto said:

--GF

Yeah, star San is a mild acid it will harm tubing discolor it and make it breakdown. But it kills everything so it's great I sterilize my gear with strictly star San and never once had any issues whatsoever. It's a great product and never fails to clean stuff. :)

StarSan is a sanitizer, it will not clean.  To be thorough, clean first then sanitize.

jtoots said:
Ck27 said:
GigaFemto said:

--GF

StarSan is a sanitizer, it will not clean.  To be thorough, clean first then sanitize.

I'm to lazy to type sanitize, lol I use ABW to clean my gear.

It is better to clean the electric heating tube with hot water every time after finish mashing. Also it is OK to clean the tube with caustic liquid, but forbidding acid. We think the acid will corrosion the heating tube.
If you all also interested in beer brewery equipment, kindly click follows safe link:
www.microbrewerysystem.com

Or you can email brewery@cnbrewery.com then we can talk more details as your requirements.

TIANTAI Derrick said:
It is better to clean the electric heating tube with hot water every time after finish mashing. Also it is OK to clean the tube with caustic liquid, but forbidding acid. We think the acid will corrosion the heating tube.
If you all also interested in beer brewery equipment, kindly click follows safe link:
www.microbrewerysystem.com

Or you can email brewery@cnbrewery.com then we can talk more details as your requirements.

No advertising :(.

I typically flush my lines with extremely hot water directly after use, then I dip into a solution of PBW, rinse in StarSan and store wet.  Then, I soak again for a very short time in StarSan directly before use.

The easiest and most economical way I?ve found to keep small parts clean and sanitized is to use a 5 gallon bucket of the pre-mixed solution(s) in my brewery at all times ready to use.  Then I change the solutions about once every two months.  I have found the PBW tends to erode the bucket material, so it needs to be replenished sooner.  But, I have never had any infection issues since I?ve practiced this method.

KellerBrauer said:
I typically flush my lines with extremely hot water directly after use, then I dip into a solution of PBW, rinse in StarSan and store wet.  Then, I soak again for a very short time in StarSan directly before use.

The easiest and most economical way I?ve found to keep small parts clean and sanitized is to use a 5 gallon bucket of the pre-mixed solution(s) in my brewery at all times ready to use.  Then I change the solutions about once every two months.  I have found the PBW tends to erode the bucket material, so it needs to be replenished sooner.  But, I have never had any infection issues since I?ve practiced this method.

I do something similar:  Flush with 140F water, soak in PBW for 24+ hours, rinse with hot water again and plunk into star san until ready to use again.  I keep several buckets of both PBW and Star San around just for cleaning tubing, bottles, etc.  I'm probably not quite as diligent as KellerBrauer at changing them out, but the haze in the Star San usually prompts me to check the pH and change out the solutions.

Oginme said:
KellerBrauer said:

I do something similar:  Flush with 140F water, soak in PBW for 24+ hours, rinse with hot water again and plunk into star san until ready to use again.  I keep several buckets of both PBW and Star San around just for cleaning tubing, bottles, etc.  I'm probably not quite as diligent as KellerBrauer at changing them out, but the haze in the Star San usually prompts me to check the pH and change out the solutions.

Star San has quote a long use you can use it multiple times before it's bad. I soak my fermenters in it and then pout it out and clean my spoons and measuring utensils and hydrometers and whatnot so thst everything is nice and clean and sterile. Haven't gotten a single infected batch using star San. Ever. I even soak the top half of my yeast packets just to make sure when I cut them open nothing is lurking on the outside

personally i always run PBW through my tubing [from the keg] and empty it over a period of 1-4 hours so it can clean everything up.
then i use 1-3 gallons water to rinse everything.
then i might pass 1 gallon of StarSan solution through over the course of 10-20 minutes. but after that i always do another rinse with water [1 gallon or less].
i have tube discoloration but no problems.

my tubing i used when racking [or when i bottle] gets soaked in starsan, but only for a bit, before i let it dry and then put it up. those tubes are always just a little tacky/sticky, but they are not bad.

Back