• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Estimated corrected gravity (after OG measurement)

Babellebiere

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
This is my question. I have my estimated OG and FG but my OG measurement was different of the estimation (cause I added water in my fermenter)
So now I'm looking for my estimated Final Density given that my original gravity is not the one expected...

For instance, my Estimated OG was 10 Plato and I have 8,7 on measurement in my fermenter.
Now I know that I should have 2 Plato of Final Gravity if I had 10 in OG but as I had only 8,7 where do I find my corrected FG in Beersmith?

Thanks for all
Best regards
Mathieu

This is what I would do:  Make a copy of the recipe you brewed and rename it to recipe_actual or something like that.  Now open up this new copy of the recipe and use the values collected from your brew day to update your equipment profile (actual volumes, losses, efficiencies, etc.) so that the program mimics what you actually accomplished.  Now, the prediction of FG from the recipe should be somewhere close to your actual values.  This would lock in an equipment profile and recipe as it actually ended up.

The other way to do this is to take the apparent attenuation from the original recipe (10 plato start, 2 plato finish = 80%) and apply this to your actual value for OG (8.7 plato start @ 80% attenuation = 1.7 plato finish).  Since the estimation of FG is pretty much a SWAG, this should be close enough.

Back