• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Measurement of Final Gravity

Babellebiere

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello everybody
Begginer in home brewing, I'm using Beersmith and I was wondering when do I have to measure my final gravity (the one I have to indicate in Beersmith)... before or after adding my sugar for refermentation in bottles?
Thanks for all
Best regards
Mathieu

Once you think fermentation has finished take a gravity reading. Some will take another reading in a day or two and one of two things will result. If the second reading is the same as the first; it is safe to say fermentation is over. That is your FG and you can move on to whatever your next step may be.

The second thing that may result is that your second reading may be a bit lower than the previous. In this case your beer is still fermenting and you may want to take another reading in another day or two until you are convince fermentation is complete.

With experience you may end up skipping those extra readings because you will just know how long to leave it and what the FG should be.

Final gravity is measured specific gravity once fermentation has completed, so it should be after adding the sugar for fermentation. And the fermetable sugar in the wort will determine the final gravity.
Follows link is some information about how to calculate final gravity, hope it can help you further
http://brewgr.com/calculations/final-gravity

And we are brewery equipment manufacturer in China, if you have the demands for beer equipment, also can contact with us.
www.microbrewerysystem.com

TIANTAI Derrick said:
Final gravity is measured specific gravity once fermentation has completed, so it should be after adding the sugar for fermentation. And the fermetable sugar in the wort will determine the final gravity.
Follows link is some information about how to calculate final gravity, hope it can help you further
http://brewgr.com/calculations/final-gravity

And we are brewery equipment manufacturer in China, if you have the demands for beer equipment, also can contact with us.
www.microbrewerysystem.com

It seems you're confusing the natural fermentable sugars contained in the wort with priming sugar for bottling.
FG measurement is taken after fermentation is complete and before adding priming sugar.

The usual way to measure Final Gravity is before adding priming sugar. If you are kegging and force carbonating, then there is no priming sugar and that measurement will give the gravity of the beer you drink. If you add priming sugar and carbonate in the bottles, then there will be a small difference due to the fermentation of the priming sugar. That difference is usually ignored. If you really want to measure the final result of bottle conditioning, you need to measure the gravity of a bottle after conditioning (and before drinking). Measuring carbonated beer is difficult because the bubbles mess with the hydrometer. If you want to see how much of a difference the priming sugar makes, then you can measure once before adding it, then measure again after conditioning. You can pour a glass and let it sit and go flat before measuring to make it easier, wasting a bottle of beer in the name of science.

--GF

Back