• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Wyeast 1318 or 1084

bobo1898

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
Going to brew a dry irish stout tomorrow and need some advice. I like London Ale III quite a bit and wanted to use it in the stout, but in my experience it takes two to three weeks to finish in primary.

I have a competition upcoming and for anything to be ready, it needs to be brewed this week. The problem is I have two primary fermenters and I'm already scheduled to brew two different beers this weekend. So with the stout, my total comes to three batches. My initial thought was to brew the stout tomorrow (Tuesday) and then rack over to secondary this weekend, but then I remember how long 1318 takes.

I assume this would be too early rack at high krausen so my second thought was to use Irish Ale (1084) and maybe ferment at a higher temp. I know there may be some difference in outcome but maybe not at a slightly higher temp? Does 1084 finish quicker? I'm talking like 68-70 degrees. I can go as high as 72. Ultimately the yeast will take the amount of time it damn well pleases, right?

I have plenty of secondary fermenters but they're smaller than my primaries so I'd rather not use them as primary. With my equipment loss, it just works out that way. And I've already had my crushed grain together for a bit, enough for my batch size.

I guess the main question to take away is if I have to rack off this weekend, even if it's not finished, will I be harming the fermenting process, or will it have significant effect on the beer quality? You hear of breweries that have strict schedules of racking off in 6 days, but I imagine these are very controlled environments.

Would have brewed this weeks ago, but the flu didn't care about my brewing schedule.

bobo1898 said:
Going to brew a dry irish stout tomorrow and need some advice. I like London Ale III quite a bit and wanted to use it in the stout, but in my experience it takes two to three weeks to finish in primary.

I have a competition upcoming and for anything to be ready, it needs to be brewed this week. The problem is I have two primary fermenters and I'm already scheduled to brew two different beers this weekend. So with the stout, my total comes to three batches. My initial thought was to brew the stout tomorrow (Tuesday) and then rack over to secondary this weekend, but then I remember how long 1318 takes.

I assume this would be too early rack at high krausen so my second thought was to use Irish Ale (1084) and maybe ferment at a higher temp. I know there may be some difference in outcome but maybe not at a slightly higher temp? Does 1084 finish quicker? I'm talking like 68-70 degrees. I can go as high as 72. Ultimately the yeast will take the amount of time it damn well pleases, right?

I have plenty of secondary fermenters but they're smaller than my primaries so I'd rather not use them as primary. With my equipment loss, it just works out that way. And I've already had my crushed grain together for a bit, enough for my batch size.

I guess the main question to take away is if I have to rack off this weekend, even if it's not finished, will I be harming the fermenting process, or will it have significant effect on the beer quality? You hear of breweries that have strict schedules of racking off in 6 days, but I imagine these are very controlled environments.

Would have brewed this weeks ago, but the flu didn't care about my brewing schedule.

I've found from experience that most British Yeasts are fast fermenters. Nottingham is done in 3 days S-04 is done in 3 days. Burton took 2. Ringwood took 10 but ringeood is just slow.

Thanks for the response, Ck

I've used Nottingham and S-04 before. But it's been so long that I can't remember their fermentation times.

I'm going to find a way to do this after the two brews this weekend with the London Ale III. We'll see if it moves faster than it has in the past.

bobo1898 said:
Thanks for the response, Ck

I've used Nottingham and S-04 before. But it's been so long that I can't remember their fermentation times.

I'm going to find a way to do this after the two brews this weekend with the London Ale III. We'll see if it moves faster than it has in the past.

I like Nottingham it's a potent yeast

Back