• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Doom Bar

Bill365

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have promised to teach my brewing group how to make Sharp's Doom Bar. I didn't realise it was a secret recipe. Having searched several brewing forums I have patched together a recipe and method. Please could anyone who has knowledge of brewing this beer make any helpful comments you can? I am particularly worried about the division of my hops (approx 40% at start of boil and 60% at end of boil). Does this seem right? The head brewer of Sharps said he only used 5% in the boil and 85% at the end. These figures don't add up to 100 so I'm really just guessing at 40:60

Sharp?s Doom Bar Clone

23L all-grain mash
OG =1045 FG=1013
Target ABV = 4.3%

Ingredients

3.4kg Maris Otter malt
255g Caramel/Crystal Malt
168g Roasted Barley

7g+10g Perle Hops (AA-8%) 7g (60min) 10g (0min)
7g+10g Fuggles Hops (AA-4.5%) 7g (60min) 10g (0min)
7g+10g Northern Brewer Hops (AA-8.5%) 7g (60min) 10g (0min)
7g+10g Chinook Hops (AA-13%) 7g (60min) 10g (0min)
1tsp Irish Moss (add with 15min left to boil)

Brewer?s Yeast ? British Whitbread B #1099
1 pkt       Youngs Finings (7 days)

Method:
Liquor: treat 15L water with AMS (20ml) & DWB (12g). Heat to strike 70 ?C

Mash: grains at 66 ?C in 15L treated liquor for 60 mins.

Sparge: with 77 ?C water to a volume of approx. 20L.

Weigh: Hops & tie up in 2 muslin bags (Starting & Flavouring)

Boil: Add starting hops as above. Add Irish moss at 45mins. Stop boil at 60 min. Add flavour hops at flameout & steep for 60mins whilst in ice bath. Wort volume will be approx. 15L.

Ice Bath: Chill the wort rapidly using ice bath. Take OG reading. Add tap water (up to max 23L) to achieve required OG.

Ferment: Hydrate yeast with cooled kettle water & pitch at 20 ?C. Cover for fermentation & take indoors! Maintain 25?C for 7 days. Skim every day.

7 days later: Rack & fine into new FV and transfer to garage. Maintain temperature 12?C for 7 days.

7 days later: After fermentation is finished, rack in new FV, & take FG reading.

Prime: each bottle with 1.5g white sugar and bottle. Mature for 8-12 weeks.

Back