• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Accidental early fermentation chill - help!

treidling

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

An electrician working on our house accidentally unplugged the fridge that was aiming to keep my porter fermenting (Wyeast Irish Ale) at 68 degrees. Unfortunately, when he plugged it back in, it defaulted to 40 degrees and I didn't notice for about 5 hours. The carboy is clearly cooler than desired and the yeast may have floculated. I know I should probably draw a sample and check gravity but I thought I would ask for advice. The yeast were pitched about 72 hours ago and the OG was 1.076.

Thoughts?

-Tom

At 40 degrees the yeast is likely enjoying a nap. I'd heat it up and see what happens. It'll probably come back to life with some rousing after you get it to a reasonable temp. Just in case it doesn't, I'd be sure to have an active starter ready to pitch. I'd bet a pint that it will be just fine.

treidling said:
Hi all,

An electrician working on our house accidentally unplugged the fridge that was aiming to keep my porter fermenting (Wyeast Irish Ale) at 68 degrees. Unfortunately, when he plugged it back in, it defaulted to 40 degrees and I didn't notice for about 5 hours. The carboy is clearly cooler than desired and the yeast may have floculated. I know I should probably draw a sample and check gravity but I thought I would ask for advice. The yeast were pitched about 72 hours ago and the OG was 1.076.

Thoughts?

-Tom

Yeah should be fine! :) id bet that once you get it back up to temp it will come right back to life.

Thank you both. As usual, not intervening is probably better than panicking or as they say - Don't just do something, stand there!

Come morning after a night of sitting at room temp, there are indeed bubbles in the water lock.

-Tom

treidling said:
Thank you both. As usual, not intervening is probably better than panicking or as they say - Don't just do something, stand there!

Come morning after a night of sitting at room temp, there are indeed bubbles in the water lock.

-Tom

Excellent :) let us know how it tastes when it's done!

Back