• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Efficiency calculations with split batches??

wjogert

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey all.  Forgive if this has been addressed before, but I searched the forum and didn't see anything.

We've been using our 1/2 BBL system to mash and boil, then dividing into three 5-gallon fermenters (to test out different yeasts and temps).

To do this, I built a recipe for 1/2 BBL, scaled it to 5 gal (which was saved and copied 2 more times).  The session volumes of the 5-gallon batches had to be estimated until "measured bottle volume", and the 1/2 BBL recipe has no entries after "measured OG".

My concern is, do these recipes now F-up my BH efficiency, Mash efficiency, etc for future recipes?
This is a brewing process that we intend to do every session now, so is there a better way to record this in BS?

Thanks!

Or would this be better posted under Pro Brewing discussions??

Your tracking of brew day data on any one recipe does not affect any other recipes in BeerSmith.  Each recipe is a self contained archive. 

I do something similar when I do SMaSH recipes of making a batch of wort and then separating it into individual pots for the boil.  I make one recipe for the mash and wort production and another for each individual 4 liter batch taken from that master batch.  I don't worry about finishing the FG or fermenter volumes on the master batch, nor the specific wort production on the separations.  I just create an 'extract' for the separations which represents the properties of the wort I created and proceed from there.

Back