• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Very Frustrating

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Made another batch of beer yesterday and I followed the BS directions to a tee and hit all the numbers as far as volume and temp is concerned.  I did not however hit my OG (SG) which means my efficiency is low (again) 68% to be exact.  I just can't figure out why when I hit in the upper 70's and low 80's am I all of a sudden regressing when I'm using the same equipment.  I've deviated here and there as far as mash out steps and number of sparge rounds etc but I almost always end up with 7 gallons of wort in the boil.  I have a hard time believing the efficiency would go down that much due to slight changes in process when the volumes turn out to be roughly the same.

The one variable that I'm focusing on now is the grind.  My LHBS's mill is the 7 lbs hopper Barley Crusher.  Thing is the thing has been having some issues lately, they say it works find but it doesn't seem like it to me.  They've even had a sign on it lately that says it won't grind specialty grains unless you mix them in with base grains.  When I look at it, it just seems like it isn't getting it all like a lot of the grains are falling between the two  rollers.  Does this sound like it could be the culprit or should I just resolve myself to accepting that my system isn't designed for stellar efficiency?

The grind is THE most common problem with efficiency.  The BC is a great mill, but it sounds like they may need to adjust the gap.

Try having them double crush the grain.

Fred

Thanks,

They actually make the customers grind it themselves.  They're great people but their expertise is really in wine not beer.  I typically grind the grain twice just to be sure but I'm starting to think that a bad gap can cause problems regardless. 

I actually bought the same mill and according to my tracking number it should be here today.  I believe I've read that most people just use the factory preset gap, is this the best gap?  Also, does it make sense that every once in awhile you'll need to adjust the gap, can it slip on its own like that? 

That is the mill I use, but with the large hopper.  I have never adjusted the gap because it gives me a great crush.  Start with it there and see what it does. 

If the setscrews on the adjustment are snug it shouldn't move.

Fred

Well it showed up just like UPS said it would.  A very unscientific use of my eyeball makes me think I found my problem.  Their factory setting for the gap is so much closer together than what my LHBS has theirs at.

Mine came pretty poorly adjusted but a few minutes with a feeler gauge and a screw driver and all was good.

- Hare

Back