• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

how to change the costings

oldfezz

New Forum Member
Reaction score
as i get all my grain ,hops, yeast in bulk how do you change the pricing in beer smith?
                                    kevin

Divide the price you pay per bulk unit by the number of use units in the bulk unit and designate the use unit and its cost in inventory.

Example 1: I pay $46.00 for a 55 lb. sack of grain. The unit I use when adding grain to a recipe is pounds. When I enter the grain into inventory I want to price it by the pound. $46.00/55 = .836, so I enter my cost/lb. as $.84.

Example 2: I pay $12.00 for a pound of Cascade hops. The unit I use when adding hops to a recipe is grams. There are about 453 grams per pound, so I divide the cost of the 1 lb. package by 453 to get the cost per gram: $12.00/453 =.026, so I enter my cost/lb. as $.03

There are ingredients that I don't always buy in bulk and want to have 2 cost levels for use. In those cases, when I add the item into inventory, I designate them as both bulk purchased and purchased by the use unit in separate listings.

Example:
Sack Rahr 2-row malt    $.86                                                                                                                                                                                      Rahr 2-row malt            $1.08   

Back