• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

batch sparge resting duration

coyotedale

Apprentice
Reaction score
Just curious to hear what others have to say about this. When batch sparging, how long will you let it rest till you start recirculating/draining? Allow just enough time to let the grain settle? If so, how long would that typically take? Or do you let it sit for a longer period, say 20 minutes or more.

After the first runnings, I add sparge water, stir a minute or two then let it settle 10 minutes before I vorlauf again.

I drain the mash tun, pour in the sparge water, mix well, and then take volume and gravity readings on the first runnings.  This usually means that the sparge water is sitting with the grain about 15 to 20 minutes.

thanks all, the answers are about what I thought, and what I did last weekend. Conversion is complete, just need to make sure the grain gets a good rinse and allow enough time for the grain to settle, all to insure the grain bed sets properly.

Back