• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Temperature Step Mash - Water/Grain

rimfire

Apprentice
Reaction score
Why does the mash setup (i.e. three step temperature mash medium body) default to a 1.25 Qt/lb water/grain ratio for the protein rest (which is fine) but then move up to 1.45 for the sach rest and mash out?  There is no infusion involved here just applied heat.

I am assuming that you are looking at the example profile which comes standard with BeerSmith.  The reason is that someone wrote it that way to match how they operate their process and equipment.

Each of the profiles in BeerSmith is there to give people a template for customizing their own profiles to match their process and equipment.  They are not a recommendation or best practice.  I went to look up the stock profile for step mashing and I have long ago removed it in place of my own mash profile which reflects how I do a step mash process, so cannot give you a description of how/why the stock profile was constructed.

Back