• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Safale S-04

MRMARTINSALES

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,

Ive done a few brews recently of a british golden ale which ive used safale s-04 as the yeast.

I find that the yeast produces a sweet tang to the beer which is undesirable, Fermentation is maintained at 18degrees C througout.

Has anybody else experienced this with S-04 and would a different yeast be better for a golden ale?

Thanks

MRMARTINSALES said:
Hi,

Ive done a few brews recently of a british golden ale which ive used safale s-04 as the yeast.

I find that the yeast produces a sweet tang to the beer which is undesirable, Fermentation is maintained at 18degrees C througout.

Has anybody else experienced this with S-04 and would a different yeast be better for a golden ale?

Thanks

I've used it 4x and it always produces that flavor it's pretty much a characteristic of the yeast!

British beer historian, Ron Pattinson, has posted only one Golden Ale recipe that I can find on his blog. It uses WLP007.

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2015/07/lets-brew-wednesday-1952-strong-golden.html

I hate to say it, but "sweet tang" is a perfect description for an issue I've had in the past which was an infection.  Think that's possible?

jtoots said:
I hate to say it, but "sweet tang" is a perfect description for an issue I've had in the past which was an infection.  Think that's possible?

Nope because I've had a few beers get infected and never had sweetness. I can tell you it's from the yeast.

Ck27 said:
jtoots said:

Nope because I've had a few beers get infected and never had sweetness. I can tell you it's from the yeast.

I'm confused, why are you answering for the OP?  I was asking MRMARTINSALES.

jtoots said:
Ck27 said:
jtoots said:

I'm confused, why are you answering for the OP?  I was asking MRMARTINSALES.

I'm telling the guy that infections aren't going to taste sweet! you are misreading what I typed.

Back