• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

immersion Heater

MRMARTINSALES

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,

In my Boiler i have a immersion heater. It currently is installed into the side at the bottom but only extends about a 3rd of the diameter of the boiler so when it boils there isnt necessarily a rumble througout the beer (just on one side).

Is this a problem and will all the beer still be getting boiled and hops fully utilized?

Thanks

It should be fine. The boiling action causes enough circulation to keep everything mixed pretty well. If you put your heater in the top of the kettle you might have some trouble, but anywhere near the bottom should be OK.

--GF

MRMARTINSALES said:
In my Boiler i have a immersion heater. It currently is installed into the side at the bottom but only extends about a 3rd of the diameter of the boiler so when it boils there isnt necessarily a rumble througout the beer (just on one side).

As long as the boil is vigorous, you're in great shape. The boil is causing a convection that is circulating everything, so utilization is not an issue.

The guiding characteristic is be DMS (canned sweet corn) notes in the finished beer. If it's there, your boil needs to either be longer or more vigorous.

Back