• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

looking for advice on mini kegs and small cornelius kegs

bcarroll

New Forum Member
Reaction score
At the moment I'm brewing 1 gallon batches, but I intend on also brewing 3 gallon batches.

Mini Kegs
I see many manufacturers for these "mini kegs". YaeBrew, Spotted Dog, Haveget. 2 part question on these.
1. Would you recommend them in general.
2. Do any of these manufacturers (the ones I listed or others) have quality issues? Or flip that, would you recommend any particular make?

Corny Kegs
I also see some small kegs that appear to have the same configuration as the typical cornelius kegs. They have the larger opening on the top. There's Draft Brewer Cannonball I see on northernbrewer 1.75 gallon, PicoBrew also has a 1.75 keg.
There are also some 2.5 gallon kegs out there. Amazon is selling kegs made by AMCYL, whoever that is. They are significantly cheaper than the more recognizable brand names. Should that concern me?
Again, for the 1.75 or 2.5 gallon kegs, any opinions on what should be avoided or what you'd recommend?

I would go with the 2.5 gallon mini kegs. They are virtually the same price as the 1.75 gallon and will give you more versatility, although they are kind of pricy, even on sale.
I bought 2 of these which give me flexibility to bring beer to the cabin, lake, parties, etc.
I don't like those little C02 cartridges, so I also got a gas regulator that fits on a re-fillable paintball canister.
Not sure if portability is an issue for you, but this system works well with my modified cooler.

Attachments

• IMG_0793.JPG
    IMG_0793.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 1
Baron Von MunchKrausen said:
I would go with the 2.5 gallon mini kegs. They are virtually the same price as the 1.75 gallon and will give you more versatility, although they are kind of pricy, even on sale.
I bought 2 of these which give me flexibility to bring beer to the cabin, lake, parties, etc.
I don't like those little C02 cartridges, so I also got a gas regulator that fits on a re-fillable paintball canister.
Not sure if portability is an issue for you, but this system works well with my modified cooler.

:)

If I wasn't so into bottling I would give you advice. I bottle everything because bottled beer is better. It just tastes better and lasts a hell of a lot longer.

If you plan on eventually brewing 5 gallon batches, I'd go with 5 gallon kegs. The only real down side, assuming you have a kegerator/keezer that they fit in, is you would use a bit more CO2 for the smaller batches.

Back