• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

beta-glucans and effects on FG

biergarden said:
In regards to brewing beers with oatmeal. Will the beta-glucans affect the final gravity of the beer?

In a minor way, yes. but there's also the "it depends" part of the answer. If you're all grain and using 10% or less oatmeal, then the effect is very slight (1.002). If you're using extract, then the effect can be higher because the beta-glucan isn't broken up by any enzymes. Haze issues arise when the beta-glucans and starch are not broken down, but that's become fashionable in NEIPA recipes.

This is the first time I've bumped it up to 16% of the grain bill and noticed a .05 point increase of the FG than previous batches made with  8% of the grain bill. I have to make it again at some point to see if I can repeat the numbers, but I think it the BG and not me. Yea right lol

Back