• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

VDK level in witbier (belgian )

Ankurnapa

Apprentice
Reaction score
Recently I brewed a Belgian wheat beer. I am worried about its VDK levels.
can anyone help me to know what is the acceptable level of VDK for the same?

Ankurnapa said:
can you tell possible cause

Does the beer look different than it should, or rather does it taste bad, aroma can be a bit off but taste is what really matters, I mean if it doesn't look infected try it and then see if it tastes vastly off from what it should.

Ankurnapa said:
Actually, I am getting milky aroma in final beer.

Interesting. This certainly seems like it's a yeast related aroma. I'm not sure of a cause, but it's not part of the VDK spectrum that I am aware of. Perhaps a form of sulfur?

A basic VDK test is to split a sample in two, then heat one a bit and shake it. Once cooled, if it smells like anything other than stale beer, the yeast needs more time. It's easier to identify when you have an unheated sample to contrast it with.

I did a few analysis for the same
VDK=104 ppb
SO2=0.64 ppm
yeast count in final product =7.4 million cells per ml

Ck27 said:
Ankurnapa said:
can you tell possible cause

Does the beer look different than it should, or rather does it taste bad, the aroma can be a bit off but the taste is what really matters, I mean if it doesn't look infected try it and then see if it tastes vastly off from what it should.
It is just giving milky aroma,  it is not infected however we have yeast count of 7.4 million cells per ml.

Back