• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

batch sparge

algae

Apprentice
Reaction score
After a few years of brewing extracts only i'm getting ready to brew my first all grain batch.  This will also be my first brew using BeerSmith.  I plan on doing a batch sparge.  The brew steps show mash in with 13.28 quarts and then batch sparge with two steps (1.45gl and 3.49).  So, the question is, does this mean that i collect 3 runnings total?  the initial drain of the mash, add 1.45 gallons, stir/rest, drain and then add 3.49 gallons, stir/rest drain?  or do i add 1.45 gal before the first running then 3.49 before the second running?  the total grain bill is 10.62 lbs.  thanks.

You need to check the "Drain Mash Tun Before Sparging"  box in the mash profile. It will then tell the amount to sparge with..

Thanks, i did that.  it now says Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 4.94gal).  Adding the initial mash to that i get 8.26 gallons which after grain absorption should give me 6.99 gals pre-boil.  but beersmith is estimating the pre-boil volume at 6.49 gals.  Am i missing something?  Is their any grain absorption that needs to be accounted for during the sparge?

it is but i don't have the box checked to adjust mash volume for deadspace.  if i check that it increases the mash in by .5 gallons and decreases the sparge volume buy .5 gal.

nevermind, i got it.  adjusting the mash volume and accounting for the dead space in water totals are different things.  Thanks for the help!

Back