• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Weird Frustrating Pre-entered values in Measured OG whenever I create new recipe

thornsbreak

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Every time I create a new recipe in beersmith 2, the fields for Measured OG and Measured FG are very annoyingly already filled out with strange numbers.  Measured OG always says 11.390 and Measured FG always says 2.564.  ???

Does anybody know why this is happening, or how to get these fields to show up by default with a zero value, aka no entry?  It is really annoying to have to go and delete these weird false values every time I create a new recipe.

Does this happen to anyone else?  what in the world is going on?

I just re-installed Beersmith 2 on this machine, and then re-imported all my recipes and equipment profiles, etc, and this issue just won't go away.  An infuriating triviality.

It sounds like your units may be set to Plato instead of SG for gravity. Go to Options ->Gravity Units and select SG for Gravity Units. When you create a new recipe it starts with whatever is in your Default Recipe. If you change your ingredients you need to go to the Session tab and click on Clear Session Data to have the "measured" values (those with a yellow background) set to the estimated numbers based on the current set of ingredients.

--GF

They are 'measured' fields and really have no effect until you enter the actual measurements.  To start with a 'clean slate' you can open up your template for a new recipe and zero out all the fields.  Change any profiles that you want to set up as your default when you start a new recipe, add any standard ingredients you use with all recipes, and then click on the icon on the tool bar which is labeled 'set as default'.  Your recipe will now become your standard new recipe template and should come up with blanks for the measured values.

Alternatively, for those recipes already written, you can go to the 'sessions' tab and click on 'clear session data' and it will reset all the user entered data fields with the estimated targets.  You can then save the reicpe.

THANK YOU for taking the time to help me out!  I was unaware of the "set as default" feature, and must have done that years ago with those weird values.  I've got it set back to zero.

And for the record, I do work in degrees Plato, as a pro brewer, so that part was intentional. 

Thanks for the help guys!

Back