• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Extract recipe - too much volume!

J

jedibrew

I've been using Beersmith for about 6 months now and have been reasonably satisfied with it.  I started using it once I went from extract to all-grain, thinking it would help me manage my brewing sessions.  I just brewed up an extract batch of Hefeweizen and my final volume was way too high - about 6 gallons!  It was a very simple recipe: 8.5pounds wheat liquid extract and some hops (0.5oz NB and 0.75 Tettnang), 1200ml yeast starter.  For a 60 minute boil it said to start with 6.1 gallons - so I did and ended up with way too much volume..Did it forget to calculate the volume of the liquid extract??
Thanks

First place I would check would be your equipment setup.
Check the Final Volume, Evaporation Rate Top up, Loss to Trub, etc.
Here is mine
equipment.jpg

I checked my equipment setup - same I use for all grain - but I think it's overestimates the starting water volume because it doesn't take into consideration the volume of the liquid extract.  The starting boil volume is 6.11 gallons, boil off is 0.55 gallons, cooling percentage loss is 0.24 gallons, 0.25 lost to trub and chiller - so now we're right around 1 gallon - but I don't see where there's any compensation for volume of extract added.  (Actually - I should have set the Lost to trub and chiller volume to 0 - since most everything gets siphoned out, except a little bit that was absorbed by the leaf hops)  Hmmm

Attachments

• scrrenshot.doc
    170 KB · Views: 245
Back