• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Low efficiency

G

Garrete

I was supposed to brew a high gravity beer, 1.098, but only got 1.079. I know you loose efficiency while making high gravity beers. My efficiency says 59.87. I can not figure out how adjust my recipe to compensate for the low efficiency the next time I make it. How do I do it?
Thank you in advance.

There are lots of things that could be the reason you did not get your expected gravity the most common is the Crush of the grains. It would be easier to diagnose if you posted your recipe and mash profile. The easies would be to try to run your grains through (or have your HB store) the mill a couple times. But water (PH, Residual Alkalinity), Mash Profile, and grains play a part. Without the specifics it is hard to figure out.

I usually get close to my intended OG. I'm making a Scotch Ale that should be about 1.104 OG. I should be somewhere close to that with at least a 1.100. Sometimes I get everything right and get better than OG with a BHE of 80+.

Did you Nail your temp's for your mash profile. What was the beginning temp and the end temp for the mash? Please post the recipe and Mash Profile for more direct help.

Cheers

Preston

15 lbs pale maris otter
.75 lbs wheat
.63 lbs crystal 80
.21 black patent
1 oz East Kent Goldings
.75 oz pearle

I mashed with 5 gallons water at 152* for 1 hour. Sparged with 3 gallons. Boiled for 1 hour. I was supposed to have 5 gallons into my fermenter, but I got 4.75 gallons. My OG was 1.079, but should have been 1.090.

With ProMash if you change your efficiency, the recipe changes the grain bill. I was wondering how BeerSmith does it.

Anything else about the recipe, let me know.

I think I figured it out, let me know if I am wrong.
I made a copy of a recipe that was in my Brew Log and named it Holiday Cheer 2. I click on SCALE RECIPE and was able to change the efficiency of what BeerSmith told me, 59%. When I click OK, the recipe now said 18.79 lbs of Maris Otter compared to my original 15 lbs.

Another plus for BeerSmith.

PROST!

Just wondering if you mash out.
I recently started taking a portion of my mash, putting into my original 2gal brewpot (the extract days), heating it to a near boil, and adding it back into the rest of the mash.
The purpose was to take the pre-sparge grain mix nearer to the sparge water temperature.
The result was my efficiency went from 60% to close to 85%.
Thinking about it, it is easier to dissolve sugar based drinks like Lipton Ice Tea into warm than cold water, and the difference between warm and hot makes even more of a difference. 
Granted hot iced tea is kinda gross, but we're talking about washing clingy sugars off grain, and every degree that doesn't extract tannins matters.

I'd suggest heating your mash, in whatever way works best for you, to a temperature near your sparge water temp (170 I assume), and you'll find the sugars are much less sticky and more easily removed from the grain.

Back