• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Cranberry Wheat

T

ttreml3

This one was first brewed on 9/17/02 and was a hit for both beer and non-beer drinking friends.
I'll put it into beersmith and submit it too, :)
cheers
t

Cranberry Wheat
Extract

6.6lbs Briess Bavarian Wheat extract
0.5lbs Crystal Malt (40L?)
0.5lbs Munich Malt
0.5oz  Northern brewer 7.7%AA 60min
3.0lbs Fresh frozen cranberries, chopped
wyeast 3333 German Wheat

I added the frozen berries to the wort right at flame out hoping it would sanitize them.  It turned out great.

Looks pretty interesting...

I like the small dose of Northern Brewers - probably an interesting mix with cranberrys.

How long did you have to age it?  Last time I made a Cherry beer it took forever to smooth out...

Look forward to adding it to next month's recipe list - please do forward the BeerSmith file if you would.

I may even brew this one myself!

Cheers!
Brad

I've not been known for my patience in opening beers before.  This one I was relying on tart cranberry to counter the malt instead of hopping bitterness, and as such figured it would be tart.
To make a short story long...
As soon as it was carbonated in the bottles I was drinking.  (This was pre-kegging in tony-history.)  They were still good three months later, you knew it was cranberries added but they were never overpowering.
The crux;
condition as long as a normal ale, longer than a wheat.
;)

Back