• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Few Questions Regarding Hops

Ck27

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what are some of the oldest hop varieties in the US, That are still grown today?

Most of the hops that I have used so far have been English or German, any the only American hops I have used have been extremely recent Varieties.

I am mainly interested in older American hop varities for recreating old American beer recipies. and I haven't been able to find much information on what hops would have been available say between 1880-1950.

I believe Cluster is the oldest hop that was widely used in brewing here in the US. It was probably the most popular variety here until about 40 years ago. I use Cluster for late additions in Pale Ales and IPAs, along with cascade and/or Centennial.

Greetings - there?s a book called ?For the Love of Hops? that details the history of nearly every hop known from around the world.

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Hops-Practical-Bitterness-Elements/dp/1938469011/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511785613&sr=8-1&keywords=For+the+love+of+hops

It?s a good read if you?re interested in learning about the history and origins of hops.

KellerBrauer said:
Greetings - there?s a book called ?For the Love of Hops? that details the history of nearly every hop known from around the world.

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Hops-Practical-Bitterness-Elements/dp/1938469011/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511785613&sr=8-1&keywords=For+the+love+of+hops

It?s a good read if you?re interested in learning about the history and origins of hops.

Thanks, I'll buy it I've been reading books on all kinds of things related to beer recently but haven't read a book on hops.

BOB357 said:
I believe Cluster is the oldest hop that was widely used in brewing here in the US. It was probably the most popular variety here until about 40 years ago. I use Cluster for late additions in Pale Ales and IPAs, along with cascade and/or Centennial.

Thanks, that's what I thought but several sites mentioned cluster as one of the oldest so I didn't know if their was a couple older hops still around.

American hops are recorded in English brewing logs as far back as the mid 1800's. However most of them do not list the variety. They just say "American". Then later, after hop growing left the New York area and moved to the west I believe the entries in the logs would say "Californian". Cluster is the best overall guess.

Kevin58 said:
American hops are recorded in English brewing logs as far back as the mid 1800's. However most of them do not list the variety. They just say "American". Then later, after hop growing left the New York area and moved to the west I believe the entries in the logs would say "Californian". Cluster is the best overall guess.

So if I was to brew an American beer recipe from say the late 1800's cluster would be the best current hop to use???

Cluster is probably about as accurate for that time period as you can get.  New York had a thriving hop growing with large (for the time) export business to England and Europe all based upon Cluster.

Oginme said:
Cluster is probably about as accurate for that time period as you can get.  New York had a thriving hop growing with large (for the time) export business to England and Europe all based upon Cluster.

Back