• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New to Forum

DJ57

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Howdy Brewer Friends, My name is Dave and been brewing in a small town club, a Friend gave his Keggle equipment to use so I ventured into brewing  by myself when I have time.  I have a question I brewed a Citrus IPA yesterday FG 1.063 I didnt make a yeast starter as I should of. I pitched a white labs Cailf ale WLP001 and didnt take last night should I Oxygenate wort again before pitching more yeast today? Thanks Cheers

DJ57 said:
Howdy Brewer Friends, My name is Dave and been brewing in a small town club, a Friend gave his Keggle equipment to use so I ventured into brewing  by myself when I have time.  I have a question I brewed a Citrus IPA yesterday FG 1.063 I didnt make a yeast starter as I should of. I pitched a white labs Cailf ale WLP001 and didnt take last night should I Oxygenate wort again before pitching more yeast today? Thanks Cheers

I would give it more time it can take up to 3 days for vigorous activity to show up, ive had it happen in the past, ive never used a starter for any white labs yeast and never had a issue with a beer taking off and fermenting.

If it just doesnt start, you can go ahead and use maybe US-05 its a reliable dry yeast, a california strain and will work fine for your beer. I always use some as a backup yeast incase something goes wrong.

DJ57 said:

Greetings DJ57 - might I ask how old the packet of yeast was?  If it was a fresh and viable pack (2-4 weeks old) without a starter, it should take in about 8-12 hours to see activity.  However, if its a 4 month old or older pack it will take longer before you see anything; perhaps even 24-36 hours.  I would recommend always making a starter especially when the pack is 3 months or older.  I make a starter every time regardless.  But there are those who don't.

Back