• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Molasses as a priming sugar

rscogins

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using molasses as a priming sugar?

rscogins said:
Has anyone tried using molasses as a priming sugar?

It might be a bit thick to use, typically Corn sugar or Dry Malt Extract are used although honey could be used as well.

Avoid anything like table sugar or cane sugar will leave a bad taste in beer.

I've used molasses in the past to carbonate in recipes where I already have molasses added for flavor.  There is just not enough added for carbonation to really give any residual flavor, so I usually stick to table sugar for carbonation.  It is cheap, easy to get, and ferments out completely. 

If you do try molasses, you can stick it in the microwave for a few seconds to warm it slightly to reduce the viscosity and allow it to pour a bit easier.

Oginme said:
I've used molasses in the past to carbonate in recipes where I already have molasses added for flavor.  There is just not enough added for carbonation to really give any residual flavor, so I usually stick to table sugar for carbonation.  It is cheap, easy to get, and ferments out completely. 

If you do try molasses, you can stick it in the microwave for a few seconds to warm it slightly to reduce the viscosity and allow it to pour a bit easier.

Table sugar unless it's dextrose won't ferment out completely only dextrose will and that's what many people have told me including a guy who brews and is a registered beer judge.

So correct me if I'm wrong but I have always been told otherwise.

Ck27 said:
Oginme said:

Table sugar unless it's dextrose won't ferment out completely only dextrose will and that's what many people have told me including a guy who brews and is a registered beer judge.

So correct me if I'm wrong but I have always been told otherwise.

You're wrong :)

Dextrose is a simple sugar (one C6H12O6 ring) vs. Sucrose which is a double ring sugar (C12H22O11) composed of a Dextrose ring and a fructose ring.  Yeast produce an enzyme which hydrates the sucrose, splitting it into Dextrose and Fructose simple sugars which are both completely digestible by the yeast. 

Oginme said:
Dextrose is a simple sugar (one C6H12O6 ring) vs. Sucrose which is a double ring sugar (C12H22O11) composed of a Dextrose ring and a fructose ring.  Yeast produce an enzyme which hydrates the sucrose, splitting it into Dextrose and Fructose simple sugars which are both completely digestible by the yeast.

Well I wouldn't have known I don't pay much attention to it I just use dextrose it's $0.50 a pound. Best bang for your buck here at least.

Back