• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Organizing & Naming bsmx files

Baron Von MunchKrausen

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
Couldn't find the answer in search so I must embarrass myself by asking here.
Long time Beersmith user, but finally getting around to organizing my recipes on a flash drive to tweak at home and at work.
I have hundreds of recipes in the archive library but they are a cryptic combination of numbers and dashes.
File "save as" simply duplicates the recipe in the program.
All I can think of is to open each file individually, see what it is and rename the file.
Unless there is a method I'm missing?

In the file view (listing all your recipes), right click on a recipe, then click on 'rename file'.  You can type in your new name and it will change it in the folder.

Thanks Oginme.
So there's no shortcut other than opening each file individually, have it pop up in beersmith to see what it is, then renaming?
This is going to be quite a project. I should have been doing this all along.

My understanding is that the "Archive" folder is a backup of your recipes. All recipes would be located in the one file, "Recipe.bsmx" within your BeerSmith folder. Duplicate that file to your flash drive for working on multiple computers. Also if you do want to view your recipe archive, do it within BeerSmith. This will list the recipes by name. "View-Recipe Archive".

What I described does not involve opening up the file.  Just right click on the file name in list view, you will see an options menu appear.  Second option up from bottom is 'rename'.  I've attached pictures of the file list view and the rename window.

Attachments

• file list.JPG
    file list.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 330
  • rename window.JPG
    rename window.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 332
Aha! Oginme. Making progress here.
In my file directory, I don't see "Cream ale". That would be easy.
Instead, I see "Ar-11-11-14_33-50_22668.bsmx" or something similar.
How did you get your file names to match your recipes? Or perhaps I'm not in the right file?
I'm in C:\My Documents\Beersmith2\Archive

Metron-Brewer, that's a great solution but for some reason I have multiple recipe.bsmx files.
Obviously I have not done a very good job of organizing these files over the years.

I took another look at your images you posted and realized you are re-naming from within the beersmith program.
I tried that with no luck. The file directory still shows the cryptic name.

Baron Von MunchKrausen said:
I took another look at your images you posted and realized you are re-naming from within the beersmith program.
I tried that with no luck. The file directory still shows the cryptic name.

Hmm, I mean all my files are named :) I just name them when creating them I don't think their is a easier way than manually editing all of the files

metron-brewer said:
My understanding is that the "Archive" folder is a backup of your recipes. All recipes would be located in the one file, "Recipe.bsmx" within your BeerSmith folder. Duplicate that file to your flash drive for working on multiple computers. Also if you do want to view your recipe archive, do it within BeerSmith. This will list the recipes by name. "View-Recipe Archive".

Turns out this is the solution.
Thank you Ron!
After realizing the various recipes.bsmx were redundant, I was able to start cleaning up and organizing the files.
And going to view / recipe archive solves the cryptic filename problem.

Thanks for your help and patience.....

Back