• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

IBU:SG ratio

MaltLicker

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
The IBU:SG ratio shown onscreen in Recipe view is very helpful and I'd like to see it printed out with the other basic stats in regular and brewsheet view. 

Hi,
  See the following post:
    http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=1465.0

You can make custom reports with the fields you mention and have them displayed just like the other ones.  If you look at the very last post in that thread, I added the tag for the BU:GU which is $BITTERNESS_RATIO

Cheers,
Brad

Thanks Brad, I looked through what I had and did not find anything. I will add it to the list.

Cheers

Preston

Thanks - that is very cool.  I replaced Assistant Brewer with the BU:GU tag and it worked onscreen, but not in the export to the text file.  Are those just different animals?  Any way to change the exported fields as well?  Thx.

I believe that is the recipetxt.txt in the Templates folder (C:\Program Files\Beersmith\templates). You could add it there and see if it works. I Would make a copy of the original first, that way I could put it back if it does not work.

Voila!  This is way cool.  Everyone can customize the onscreen and printed version, within reason, and at their own risk of course.  I find stats like this one very helpful to compare recipes of different batch sizes and to "dial in" my taste preferences over time.  Thanks again.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: 10A Amarillo APA v2
BU:GU: 0.917
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

I would also like to see a style IBU:SG range, similar to how FG, IBU, and SRM all have one right now. Also maybe have the option to click and see this ration on a graph showing relative hoppy/maltiness similar to this:
1699d1179349749-captain-hooked-bitters-red-hook-esb-clone-redhook_esb_ratio.jpg

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=2081.0

Related to this other question on the different hops models, two questions:

1)  Would it be possible to have the currently selected model (Tinseth, Rager, etc.) appear following one or both of these printable $tags?  As discussed, there can be big differences between a Rager 52 and a Garetz 52.  Sharing the hops model information would make sharing recipes more clear. 

Est IBU: 52.3 IBU (Tinseth, Rager, etc.)
Est BU:GU: 0.858 (Tinseth, Rager, etc.)

2)  In the main Recipe View interface, Would it be possible to have a radio button beneath the IBUs and Style IBU and Bitterness Ratio to select the hops model?  Currently, selecting the hops model is under Tools \ Options \ Bitterness \ Drop-Down \ OK, or five clicks away, and I have remember or write down the numbers if I want to compare the calulated IBUs. 

Or better still, all three IBUs calculated by each model could be shown.  That may confuse some people, but gradually users would see that all three numbers are just estimates of the real IBUs.  The selected model under Options would be used for the other calculations. 

Hops Utilization Models:  Tinseth: [48]          Rager: [53]            Garetz: [35]

Back