• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Would a (lowering) varying temp work for saccharification?

Silicon

Brewer
Reaction score
Would y'all mind pondering the following idea and then commenting on it, please?

Idea: begin mashing at 155-160F for 20 minutes at 5.7 pH, then reduce temp to 145-150F at 5.0 pH (adding lactic/phosphoric acid) for 45-60 minutes.
Why? The higher temp & pH favor alpha reduction which in turn helps beta reduction when the temp & pH are lowered. Alpha is faster, beta slower, thus the chosen rest times. I'm wondering if this might make for a more fermentable mash with a less maltier beer with a drier finish.

Comments?

(Note: I'm a total noob at this, am just doing tons of reading & planning for a future switch to all-grain, juggling ideas around in my head, sorta mentally peeking around corners.)

You are thinking and questioning, which is very good.

Beta-amylase denatures (unravels) significantly at temperatures above 149?F.  the higher the temperature, the faster the protein denatures.  So in the 20 minutes you spend at the 155?F to 160?F, you will lose most of the beta-amylase enzymes you will need at the lower temperature rest. 

To get a highly fermentable wort, your best bet is to mash at the low end of the fermentable range 145?F to 148?F.  A second rest at the 156?F to 160?F would further improve fermentability a bit.

I hope you're reading list includes the 4th edition of John Palmer's 'How to Brew'.  Many of the things you are thinking of may be answered in his book.

I agree with Oginme. I understand what Silicon is after, but going from low temperature to high is a better way to accomplish this than going from high temperature to low.

--GF

Back