• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

'Adjust Temp for Equip' Checkbox Default

FunkedOut

Apprentice
Reaction score
When selecting a mash profile from the mash tab in a recipe, there is a checkbox below the selection entry labeled 'Adjust Temp for Equip.'
Selecting any one of the four BIAB mash profiles provided by BS2 will always override the 'Adjust Temp for Equip' checkbox to being enabled.
All of the other profiles will always override the 'Adjust Temp for Equip' checkbox to being disabled.

Any new mash profiles I create by clicking the 'Add Mash' button in the Mash Profiles > Home bar will always override the 'Adjust Temp for Equip' checkbox to being enabled.
I do not see any place to set this default value when creating a new mash profile.

My work around is to copy and paste an existing profile that defaults to a disabled checkbox value and edit from there.

Am I missing something, or is this just the way it is?

Thanks in advance.

BIAB assumes that you are heating up the strike water in the vessel that you will be mashing in.  Given this, the vessel is already at the same temperature as the mash water and thus the equipment does not absorb heat from the mash water when doughing in.  The stock profiles which come with BeerSmith reflect this.

Likewise, all other profiles assume that you will be adding the water to equipment which is at ambient or at least not at a temperature close to the strike temperature.  If the 'adjust temp for equip' is clicked 'on', the strike temperature will respond to the temperature setting in the box for equipment temperature below the mash steps box; 'off' it won't.

You can change this by clicking on the 'adjust temp for equip' in the recipe and then clicking the disk icon next to the mash profile.  It will save this setting along with the updated profile.

I've noticed that the strike temperature will change by clicking the box for 'adust temp for equip' on or off immediately with the windows version, so maybe the delayed response is specific to the Mac version. 

Oginme said:
BIAB assumes that you are heating up the strike water in the vessel that you will be mashing in.  Given this, the vessel is already at the same temperature as the mash water and thus the equipment does not absorb heat from the mash water when doughing in....

...Likewise, all other profiles assume that you will be adding the water to equipment which is at ambient or at least not at a temperature close to the strike temperature.  If the 'adjust temp for equip' is clicked 'on', the strike temperature will respond to the temperature setting in the box for equipment temperature below the mash steps box; 'off' it won't....
I agree.

Oginme said:
...The stock profiles which come with BeerSmith reflect this....
The exact opposite is reflected on the versions of BS and OS I have.

eta: BS 2.3.12 on MacOS 10.11.6

Oginme said:
...You can change this by clicking on the 'adjust temp for equip' in the recipe and then clicking the disk icon next to the mash profile.  It will save this setting along with the updated profile....
Yes, but that only gets saved to the specific recipe you perform those steps in.
When selecting a new mash profile, in that recipe or any other, the default setting for the checkbox will be applied.

Oginme said:
...I've noticed that the strike temperature will change by clicking the box for 'adust temp for equip' on or off immediately with the windows version, so maybe the delayed response is specific to the Mac version.
That works just fine on the Mac with no delay.

Appreciate the response.

FunkedOut said:
Oginme said:
...You can change this by clicking on the 'adjust temp for equip' in the recipe and then clicking the disk icon next to the mash profile.  It will save this setting along with the updated profile....
Yes, but that only gets saved to the specific recipe you perform those steps in.
When selecting a new mash profile, in that recipe or any other, the default setting for the checkbox will be applied.

I just ran through that modification of the mash profile and it works just as I said it.  I took a recipe and clicked on the 'adjust temp for equip' then clicked on the disk icon.  This created a second mash profile of that particular name.  When I opened another recipe and updated the mash profile to the new one, the box for 'adjust temp for equip' was checked. 

sho'nuff! 
that's a much quicker route to make a copy with just that change.
thanks!

Back