• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

George from New Jersey

grplotts

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey all,
New to all grain brewing as I have only done two brews. Did a few extract brews prior and wanted to step up my game. Main reason I'm here is to seek guidance from those experienced and also learn how to piece together a recipe for my own brew.

grplotts said:
Hey all,
New to all grain brewing as I have only done two brews. Did a few extract brews prior and wanted to step up my game. Main reason I'm here is to seek guidance from those experienced and also learn how to piece together a recipe for my own brew.

I can help you out, so firstly what kind of all grain brewing equipment do you have?

grplotts said:
Hey all,

Greetings grplotts - my suggestion, if you wish to learn how to formulate a recipe, is to first look at a few recipes of the same style you wish to brew and there are hundreds of recipes available to review on the BeerSmith website.

Formulating recipes is something that takes a tremendous amount of trial and error while learning how the multitude of different malts, hops and yeasts flavor compounds contribute to a brew AND how they work together to create a beer?s flavor.

Further, there are many books published that will guide you through the brewing process.  However, I recently read a book called: The Big Book of Homebrewing, by BYO.  I highly recommend reading this book.  It not only guides you through the brewing process, it also describes in detail how to use the main ingredients in beer to formulate recipes.  Plus, the book contains hundreds of award winning recipes by many well established brewers.

I hope this information helps!

Good luck!

Back