• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Scot-Irish dry stout help

C

cliffordsimmons

Hello all:

I am new to home brewing and I had a recipie idea and I wanted to get some of your ideas. First off I guess I should tell you what my idea is. You see my first brew as a scotch ale 'we heavy.' I used the following:

10 lbs pale malt extract
1 lbs crystal
1/4 chocolate
  heather tips
2 oz east kent goldings
Edinburgh ale yeast (white labs)

Now I want to make a Irish dry stout ala guiness and I had the idea of sort of combining the ideas and making a 'wee heavy' scot/irish stout. Here is what I think I should do so far....now this recipie comes from papazains book with modifications.

4 lbs hopped dark malt extract
6 lbs dark malt extract
1 lbs crystal
1/2 lbs roasted
1/2 lbs black patent
heather tips (added in last 15 minutes)
2 oz northern brewer (boiling)
3/4 oz fruggles (finishing)
Edinburgh ale yeast & irish ale yeast for a total of 2 white labs tubes

one other thing, I was thinking of wanting to add something to add a peaty smokey character to this, what do you think?

Cliff

If you want the smoked flavor, you might want to switch the Crystal to a Peat Smoked Malt. I think there is enough carmel's in the DME and it wont be missed. I would drop the hopped Malt Extract and just use 10# Dark Malt Extract and what ever hops you want with it. I prefer East Kent Goldings with Scottish Ale's. If you still have the yeast cake I would pitch this right on top of that. Just a thought.

My 2c.

Cheers

Preston

Cliff
  Here's an article on Irish Stout...from the blog
    http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2008/03/14/brewing-an-irish-stout-beer-recipe/

Brad

So I think I will go with this:

10 lbs dark malt extract
1 peat smoked malt
1/2 lbs roasted
1/2 lbs black patent
heather tips (added in last 15 minutes)
2 oz northern brewer (boiling)
3/4 oz east kent goldings (finishing)
Edinburgh ale yeast & irish ale yeast for a total of 2 white labs tubes

Yeast cake? Can I buy that at Safeway :) kidding. My last batch of my wee heavy was my first batch so I didn't save anything, instead I am just buying some new stuff from white labs.

Do you get better results from savings your yeast?

cliffordsimmons said:
Do you get better results from savings your yeast?
If you are using a Yeast cake you don't have to wait as long for fermentation to start. Just rack off the kettle onto the yeast cake and you are off to the races. It would have saved you the $12-$15 for two vials of yeast.

Cheers

Preston

Back