• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Top 10 hops used in craft brewing industry.

Ankurnapa

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello everyone
Can anyone tell the top 10 hop varieties used in their particular region or the most selling hop varieties or the most consuming varieties .

Ankurnapa said:
Hello everyone
Can anyone tell the top 10 hop varieties used in their particular region or the most selling hop varieties or the most consuming varieties .

Its all personal preference but the US has a large hop growing region and I would have to say the #1 most used American hops would be the following. Not all are from the US though.

1. Cascade
2. Centennial
3. Citra
4. Meridian(rare hop that I specifically use in my IPA)
5. Northern Brewer ( Hop used in Anchor Steam Beer/California Common/Lagers.
6. US Fuggles
7. East Kent Goldings
8. Motueka
9. Saaz
10. Liberty(lager Hop, Spicy Herbal qualities good in Mexican Style Vienna Lagers)

The last survey from the Brewer's Association from 2016 had the following hops listed from most popular on down:

1  Cascade
2  Centennial
3  Chinook
4  Simcoe
5  Citra
6  Hallertau Mittelfruh (GR)
7  Amarillo
8  Crystal
9  Magnum (GR)
10  CTZ (Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus)

Oginme said:
The last survey from the Brewer's Association from 2016 had the following hops listed from most popular on down:

1  Cascade
2  Centennial
3  Chinook
4  Simcoe
5  Citra
6  Hallertau Mittelfruh (GR)
7  Amarillo
8  Crystal
9  Magnum (GR)
10  CTZ (Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus) to

Hallertau mittelfuh? Really? Well I regularly talk to breweries never really been told they use it. So I'm suprised. Magnum I could see. same with Crystal.

Ck27 said:
Hallertau mittelfuh? Really? Well I regularly talk to breweries never really been told they use it. So I'm suprised. Magnum I could see. same with Crystal.

Ever had a Sam Adams Boston Lager? That's Hallertau Mittelfruh.

The Hallertau Region of Growers makes an annual trip to the US for the Craft Brewer's Conference. They hold a brewer's reception where the have samples out of the various strains, new and old. This has created a lot of renewed interest in old world hops.

BTW, Magnum and Crystal are variations on Hallertau Mittelfruh. Hersbrucker is a Mittelfruh and Saaz triploid, which was bred as a replacement for Mittelfruh due to disease issues.

brewfun said:
Ck27 said:

Ever had a Sam Adams Boston Lager? That's Hallertau Mittelfruh.

The Hallertau Region of Growers makes an annual trip to the US for the Craft Brewer's Conference. They hold a brewer's reception where the have samples out of the various strains, new and old. This has created a lot of renewed interest in old world hops.

BTW, Magnum and Crystal are variations on Hallertau Mittelfruh. Hersbrucker is a Mittelfruh and Saaz triploid, which was bred as a replacement for Mittelfruh due to disease issues.

Ah lol, well I didn't know that I use Saaz a lot it's a favorite hop alongside East Kent and Meridian which is rare as it's pretty new. Meridian is one of my secrets in umm ipas. Same with Jester

Back