• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Grain weight basis calculations

Kjell G

Apprentice
Reaction score
My beersmith mobile version 2.3.4 does not include all grains in the "grain weight basis".
This makes me having trouble with the water amounts.
Have I missed something?

Check to be sure that the grain(s) that are not being included don't have "Add after boil" checked. That's the only thing that I can think of.

Kjell G said:
My beersmith mobile version 2.3.4 does not include all grains in the "grain weight basis".
This makes me having trouble with the water amounts.
Have I missed something?

Greetings Kjell - can you elaborate a bit?  I have my mobile version open and I'm looking at the grain weight basis in the Mash Profile section.  Where are you looking and what are you trying to set up?

Add after boil was not checked.
However I found the solution:
By toggling "mash recommended" on all my grain the grain wheight basis now include all grain.
After I did that I can now change "mash recommended" without changes to grain weight basis.
Seems you have a bug here.

Greetings Kjell - can you elaborate a bit?  I have my mobile version open and I'm looking at the grain weight basis in the Mash Profile section.  Where are you looking and what are you trying to set up?
[/quote]
Sorry, didnt see your post.
When I am setting up my mash profile, I only get some of the grains in the "grain weight basis". I had not checked neither recommended mash or addafter boil, so I am really confused why this happened.
This is on my samsung pad, and I just cbecked the mobile version on my sony mobile, and the situasion is the same on that one.

I have this same problem.  The app definitely has a bug and I think it occurs specifically for new grains that were added using "ADD-ON".  Anyway, the best way to explain the issue is that you add say 3 lbs of a grain to a recipe and when you look at the "timer" section of the recipe, it is giving improper water water volumes because it isn't including that 3lbs of the grain that was added.  I had a recipe with 4 different grains and the app was clearly wrong with the water volumes.  I discovered it was only seeing 2 of the 4 grains in the calculation for the water and thus giving me a completely wrong water/grain ration of like 1.000 qt/lb.  In my opinion this is a pretty major bug and the only way I caught it was that it "seemed" like the water volume for the mash was low.  It's a simple calculation of water/grain ratio multiplied by lbs of grain.  If the app can't get that right, it makes me leery of the more advanced calculations.

I can confirm that when using grain add-ons (weyerman) in my case, it seems random which grains are included in the ?grain weight basis?, which then makes it very hard to use the calculations for the recipe as all strike/sparge water numbers will be off. If I remove all grains from the recipe and add them back again another weight is calculated, but still not the tight one. When using the same recipe with only the corresponding grains from the original app install the issue goes away completely.

Back