• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop plant non producing

G

ggltd

I have 3 hop plants in the garden, about 3 years old. I believe Centennial, Nugget and Fuggles. This year has been a good crop except for what I believe is the Centennial. Basically nothing even though the plant has flourished. Maybe in 3 years a small handful total harvest. Do I have a male plant or is there something I can do to jump start this failure? If this is the case then I believe Fresh Hops owes me a free rhizome. I’m thinking of removal next spring.

Maybe in 3 years a small handful total harvest.

Do I have a male plant..?

If the plant has produced cones then it is female.
I recall from my own research that yields can vary wildly between types, with Cascade and Chinook plants producing large amounts of cones while noble varieties like Hallertauer and Saaz producing comparatively smaller amounts.
Personally I have a one year Horizon plant that has provided me with not enough cones to even flavor a single batch, but that is all I expected from the first year.
Yours are three years old and from what I have researched should be producing.

I'd can only suggest that you do some research into different varieties and their yield, and/or call your local Cooperative.

Back