• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Finning Question

K

KellerBrauer

Greetings - this inquiry is in regard to finning.  I have read many articles, but none really answer my question.  Currently, I use Super Moss, by Five Star.  1/4 tsp at the end of the boil works pretty well.  However, I would like to take clearing my beer to the next level.....if there is even such a thing.

I currently bottle my beer.  Hence, I need some yeast to condition. I?m afraid to use any other type of finning agent for fear it will clear out any remaining yeast.  I read an article that said that a product called ?Polyclar?, if used in the secondary, does not affect the yeast.  Great, right?  Well, my local supplier doesn?t carry it.  Which is not a problem, I?ll order on line.  But my thought process is that if he doesn?t carry it, maybe it?s garbage.

So, I guess I?m just looking for opinions from other brewers on this subject.  I was using Irish Moss.  However, I stopped because I?m afraid it may clog my plate cooler and THAT would really suck.

So, any opinions anyone would wish to share?

Kettle and fermenter finings do different things. The Super Moss is agglomerating hot break, so that it settles more completely.

Most of the time, beer haze is chill haze. Chilling from boiling to below pitching temperature is the best way to deal with it.

In the fermenter the finings are acting primarily on yeast, but polyclar has the added effect of attracting tannins, which may or may not be a benefit for you. One of my old homebrew tricks was polyclar in the secondary and gelatin for bottling. I just threw the gelatin into the hot water after I dissolved my priming sugar.

Even after you fine the fermenter, there's still plenty of yeast in suspension to carbonate. The little bit of yeast pulled up by a syphon insures there's plenty.

If you don't want to use gelatin or isinglass, the Biofine Clear product is a vegan friendly option. Besides attracting yeast, it also will pull chill haze out of the beer, if pitched while the beer is very cold (34oF).

In addition to the fine suggestions by Brewfun, you can loso try Clarity Ferm from White Labs.  This enzyme breaks down chill haze and had the side effect of eliminating nearly all gluten without changing the beer.  I use it in every batch for the gluten removal effect.

Thanks to both of you for your great advise.  I neglected to say, however, that I do use Clarity Ferm in the primary, as Jomebrew points out and it does work really well.  So now I?m thinking about the suggestions from brewfun, polyclar in the secondary and gelatin in the bottle.  That?s fascinating!

Would you be able to elaborate on that process?  How much polyclar and how much gelatin for a typical 5 gallon batch?

Back