• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Effect on sugar profile of a temperature drop during the mash

EdwardGambrinus

Apprentice
Reaction score
I lose about 4 degrees fahrenheit during a 60 minute mash with my plastic cylindrical MLT.  Given that, what temperature should I use to start a mash that calls for a specific rest temperature?  Suppose I want to closely follow a recipe calling for a 152F rest through the entire mash period.  Do I: 1) start the mash at 156 knowing it will drop to my 152 target by the end of the mash?, 2) start it at 154 and let it drop to 150 so that the average temperature is my 152 target temperature, or 3) start the mash at my 152 target temperature and let it drop to 148.  In other words, what is the sugar profile (fermentables vs non-fermentable) of a mash that drops 4 degrees?  Does it most closely resemble the profile of the starting temperature, average temperature or ending temperature?

Personally, I'd start 2 degrees high and finish 2 degrees low. I doubt you'd ever distinguish the end product either way. Your OG and FG might change a bit, but I doubt you'd ever distinguish a difference in the end product either way.

I agree with Bob. Splitting the deviation should help you minimize the effect. Most people's thermometers are only accurate to 1 degree C or 2 degrees F, anyway.

--GF

Back