• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beer line lengths--an easy method for adjusting?

DDay

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have an idea regarding this for my home kegerator.
Here's the issue:

Most draft towers ship with 5 foot draft lines and 3/16" ID.
The distance from my tap to mid-keg is about 2.5 feet.
Using the equations on this very helpful website, I get the following recs:

http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/

These are just examples.
For a wheat beer at 38 degrees and 16 psi, it recommends a 13 foot line.
For a stout at 46 degrees and 8 psi, it recommends a 6 foot line.
For an ale/lager at 38 degrees and 20 psi, it recommends a 16 foot line.

Rather than changing out the lines every time I change a beer, I decided to leave the 5 foot lines on the keg shanks/taps and make a 5-foot, an 8-foot, and a 10-foot beer line extension with a male barbed mfl and a female barbed mfl on the ends.

So, when I am serving a stout, I use the lines directly connected to the taps/shanks.
When I am serving a wheat/hefe, I put the 8 foot extension in for a total of 13 feet.
And, when I am serving a lager/ale at a higher pressure, I put in the 10 foot extension.

This allows me to serve beers at different pressures depending on style without having to change out the whole lines.
If people are already doing this, I'm sorry for reposting and let me know how it works.
If people have suggestions or responses to this, let me know.
I guess the one variable is how much resistance an mfl connection adds to the system.

thanks

That sounds like a great idea. I only had one pressure adjustment and a four way manifold so all my kegs were served at the same pressure (8 psi) and temperature (40) so I just had 5? lines on all the taps. The new regulator I?m buying only has one pressure gauge again so I?ll probably go the same route with this set up.

Al W

Back