• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Three Stage Lager Aging

phopkinsiii

Apprentice
Reaction score
I put a Dunkel in the fermenter a couple of days ago and I'm going to  try a 3 stage lager fermentation with diacetyl rest as follows:
48-53 F 4 days
54 F 7 days
62 F 3 days
35 F 60 days
My thermostat allows a 1 degree variation from the set temp (e.g. 48 degrees = 47-49)
O.G. 1.056

Question: Should I rack over to a secondary for the 60 day aging period or age over the yeast?

Thanks,
Philip Hopkins

You can.  My preference, since it will be sitting at 35?F, would be to leave it in the same fermentation vessel to avoid oxidation and possible contamination during transfer.

I agree, leave it alone in the same vessel. Less transfer issues like potential oxidation.

Mark

I do the same except, I drop to 35f for a week, then keg and leave it there three more.  I tap the keg after that but you could leave it longer.  I've have not found any value leaving it another month.

Back