• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding fermentation stages

lochem

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi Brad (or anyone!)

i am wondering if it is possible to customize the fermentation profiles so that I may create profiles with more than 3 stages?
the reason i want to do this is i want to visualize the gradual temperature changes in between the 3 stages of fermentation that i have...so my 3 stage fermentation profile actually needs 5 steps... not only 3.

is this possible?
thanks

Unfortunately, BeerSmith does not account for more than three steps in the fermentation profile.  It would be nice if it were set up more like the mash profiles, where we can put in as many steps and temperature changes as needed.  Maybe next version?

ok... thank for letting me know.  yes it would be very helpful but i will wait until it is deemed a priority...

cheers!

Actually you can add a 4th fermentation step by putting info into the Age For fields.
Now, it sounds like you want to go totally nutty and do 5+ steps, but you can do 4, which really, really should be enough.

For most of my ales I prefer to do a 4 day fermentation in the lowest 1-3 degrees of it's range, then 10 days in the midrange, followed by up to 7 more in the upper degrees of it's range. And that's before any aging I may or may not do....

Oh, the system works for a good part of my ferments and I definitely use the 'fourth' step all the time.  When it comes to lagers, though, it is another story.  I start at around 48F and rise to 54F over a period of around 10 days, then I do a diacetyl rest at 58F to 60F for two to three days.  Following that, I cold crash slowly back to around 549F to 50F and then down to near 32F for about a week.  Following the cold crash, I move the carboys into my lagering room for a couple of weeks before bringing the temperature back up to near room temps for bottling.  I then allow the bottles to carbonate at room temperature for 2 to 3 weeks before going back down to lager for another month. 

One could argue that following the bottling, the fermentation stage is 'over', but in terms of timing and the calendar, it really down not fit what I do and the fact is that I track temperatures through that whole cycle.  The fermentation profile would be just a lot more accommodating if it were set up similar to the way the mash profiles are set: unlimited steps and stages.

Back