• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Add-on option for Water Profiles by postal code

RizingFenix

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Would it be possible for BeerSmith users to upload their water tests from a reputable company like Ward Labs in the US or similar for other countries? It would be nice if an optional add-on was to download user-submitted water profiles and then search for your zip code / postal code and know what a recent water test looks like.

I like how BeerSmith includes water profiles for some of the most famous beer making locals internationally. It would be nice to have a second add-on choice for user-submitted content. Think of it like WikiPedia with the same disclaimer that goes with Wiki. I am betting the Pro Brewers locally would help to keep this up to date where they are and I will be happy to share my results with the community as well.

Of course this would only work for people on public water system and I would imagine it would provide almost no value to users on local wells.

Cheers

There are 43,000 zip codes in the USA alone. Many of which are supplied by water sources outside the county in which they live which may be many, many zip codes away. Plus the number of households not connected to municipal sources is probably far greater than you may expect.... even within areas where municipal water is available. It is far easier for an individual to send away for a sample kit from Ward.

Having a place to go for an aggregation of water reports would be nice. I thought about making a site where folks could post their water reports since the best resource is focused on contaminants not the stuff we care about for water profile adjustments.  Unfortunately my web skillz are not so great and I don't make particularly attractive web tools.  Still, after a few projects I'm working on wrap up, I might fire something up and see what happens even if it is plain. Maybe even export to an importable beersmith file. 

Back