• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Profile and additions

zendeprovence

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

In Design we can add a water profile and the amount of liters we will use of that water.

In the Water Profile tool we can find out what additions are required to reach that profile starting from a certain base like Distilled Water.

Is there a way to make these additions [Gypsum, Epsom Salts, Acid,...] to become part of the recipe itself rather than having to enter these values manually?

Any help and suggestions truly appreciated,

Edgard

Yes.

When you use the water profile tool and enter in the salt and mineral additions to reach the profile you want, save that profile.  Now in your recipe design tab, click on 'add water' and select that profile to add it to the recipe.  BeerSmith will then ask if you want to add the water additions to the recipe.  Click 'yes' and the program will add the water in the volume called for by the specific recipe and the mineral/salt additions associated with that profile -- again proportioned to the water volume for that recipe.

Thanks for this thread. I just learned another thing I can do with BeerSmith! I was trying to figure out how to add whatever my water needed to make better Porters and Stouts, and viola!, there was the thread I needed! After reading the posts above I followed instructions, found what I was doing wrong, and now I have a water profile and know what additions I need to add.

The water I use is advertised as 99%pure (on a sign as you drive into town). I checked with the water dept. in the town about that and they told me that even though the EPA can't find anything wrong with their water, they have to put Chlorine in the system once a year - just for the heckovit! They give me a phone call to let me know when they put in the chlorine and it takes about 3 or 4 weeks to clear thru the system. It turns out that the only water additions I have to add is 2.6 grams of table salt for each 5 gallon batch! Everything else is golden.
Thanks BeerSmith, I don't know how much difference a couple of grams of salt will make in my beers, but at least now I know that the sign at the edge of town was the truth, at least when it comes to my Porters and Stouts!!

Back