Author Topic: RECIPE view Carbonation: Sugar versus Kegged Sugar??? What is the difference?  (Read 4347 times)

Offline ipscman

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
I'm confused. I want to rack my wort to a keg after two weeks in a primary fermenter. At that point I would like to add a boiled sugar slurry to have it carbonate in the keg at room temperature. I see under RECIPES two different respones under CARBONATION and TYPE:
1. Corn sugar
2. Kegged (corn sugar) which suggest half as much sugar.

???? What it the difference between these two. Which should I use?

MAJOR THANKS. I LOVE THE PROGRAM

Offline Maine Homebrewer

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
I don't know anything about the program because I do not use it, but I'm pretty sure that carbonating a keg uses (if memory serves me correctly) 1/3 cup sugar while bottling a batch will require (again if memory serves me) 3/4 cups sugar.

If you want to know exactly why I'd suggest reading anything by Charlie Papazian.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline ipscman

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
Thanks. I have his book coming. I also received an answer from Brad Smith from the program stating essentially what you suggested. You need less for a keg than bottles holding the same amount. Thanks again.

Offline UselessBrewing

• Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
I don't know anything about the program because I do not use it
?
Cheers
Preston
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!

Offline Maine Homebrewer

Preston,
I don't use the program for the same reason that i roll my own cigarettes, make my own beer, and bake my own bread.

I'm cheap.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson