• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

RECIPE view Carbonation: Sugar versus Kegged Sugar??? What is the difference?

ipscman

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm confused. I want to rack my wort to a keg after two weeks in a primary fermenter. At that point I would like to add a boiled sugar slurry to have it carbonate in the keg at room temperature. I see under RECIPES two different respones under CARBONATION and TYPE:
1. Corn sugar
2. Kegged (corn sugar) which suggest half as much sugar.

???? What it the difference between these two. Which should I use?

MAJOR THANKS. I LOVE THE PROGRAM

I don't know anything about the program because I do not use it, but I'm pretty sure that carbonating a keg uses (if memory serves me correctly) 1/3 cup sugar while bottling a batch will require (again if memory serves me) 3/4 cups sugar.

If you want to know exactly why I'd suggest reading anything by Charlie Papazian.

Thanks. I have his book coming. I also received an answer from Brad Smith from the program stating essentially what you suggested. You need less for a keg than bottles holding the same amount. Thanks again.

Preston,
I don't use the program for the same reason that i roll my own cigarettes, make my own beer, and bake my own bread.

I'm cheap.

Back