• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash and Boil

Turmanator

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I recently brewed an American amber on my new Mash and Boil. It's a regular recipe of mine, however this time the color development was weak. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I mashed at the same temp for the same time as usual, same grain bill, same water profile but the mash and boil doesn't boil as vigorously as my blichmann propane setup. Maybe I should have boiled for 90 minutes instead of 60?
Also wondering if Beersmith will be adding an equipment profile for the mash and boil or if I should try to create one.
Slainte'

Turmanator said:
I recently brewed an American amber on my new Mash and Boil. It's a regular recipe of mine, however this time the color development was weak. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I mashed at the same temp for the same time as usual, same grain bill, same water profile but the mash and boil doesn't boil as vigorously as my blichmann propane setup. Maybe I should have boiled for 90 minutes instead of 60?
Also wondering if Beersmith will be adding an equipment profile for the mash and boil or if I should try to create one.
Slainte'

I get vigorous boils in both the robobrew and mash and boil, you did heat your water before adding grains right? Then you cover it up and let it sit for 60 minutes and it should be good to go

As for boiling, it takes 35 minutes to get from 140's-150's to 212 where it boils.

I am at sea level though.so might be why it takes way less.

Turmanator said:
the color development was weak.... but the mash and boil doesn't boil as vigorously as my blichmann propane setup.

It seems that your color development relied on the greater thermal loading of the propane burner setup. I'd wager that you have less boil off than with the propane setup, too. Extending the boil 30 minutes may not be enough to get the caramelization you're expecting, because the electric element has more convection for its surface area compared to propane.

Anytime there's a new piece of gear out there, the most accurate profiles come from the users. Please feel free to develop and pot one.

I did the boil intensity I was anticipating, and it came to a boil pretty quickly since I live at sea level also. After consulting with some members of my home brewing guild I may have had too much color development using my propane setup, or I may have sparged too quickly with the mash and boil.
I'm going to try the recipe again with a slower sparge and see what I get.
I'll also work up the equipment profile and post it on this thread.
I appreciate the input and will be looking for any other suggestions.

Hi there!

I would appreciate if you could share the profile for this equipment if you managed to do it and if it worked properly for you. I'm struggling to find it anywhere. I've used the Grainfather profile as a baseline and adjusted it to the M&B, but I've read so many threads stating that it needs tweaking around, that I'm not confident that it will work well.

thanks!

I just poured the first IPA using the Mash &Boil, I followed the directionw from Williams, Mashed at .30 gallons of strike water. It was thick but I stirred unil too thick, then ran off a gal. poured back in, did this twice. then continuerd on according to their instructions and all the numbers were spot on and the beer is delicious. I purchased this unit because I am 78 now and the 3 keggle system became toohard to deal with. I love this mash and boil, it has got me excited about brewing again. I think the thick mash and recirculating the mash is important.

I have the M&B, I found that if I put the kid on partially (1/4) the boil would increase and not boil over, also put it on uosude down and it won't fall off

LowellR said:
I have the M&B, I found that if I put the kid on partially (1/4) the boil would increase and not boil over, also put it on uosude down and it won't fall off
"...put the kid on partially (1/4)..." ???

raybilyk said:
LowellR said:
"...put the kid on partially (1/4)..." ???

Well, you wouldn't want to cook a good kid all at once, would you?  :D ;D

Of course, I think he meant "lid."

Back