Author Topic: What settings change gravity gain post boil? Mine dont match beersmith  (Read 5750 times)

Offline Truman48

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: What settings change gravity gain post boil? Mine dont match beersmith
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 05:44:43 PM »
Ok another thing Ive noticed about Beer Smith is in the session details the section titled "Into fermenter" doesnt seem to be correct. If I put exactly the volume I got into the fermenter of 10 litres it puts my efficiency at 61% which is very low for BIAB.  If I change it to the volume after boil 12.5 litres (which Ive minused .5 litres for cooling) my efficiency is 76.4% which seems a lot better and what I would normally get for BIAB. 

So when Beer smith says into fermenter volume shouldn't it really say EOB volume after cooling?

see pics below

Offline brewfun

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Malt dust is just alcohol's glitter
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 11:53:32 AM »
If I put exactly the volume I got into the fermenter of 10 litres it puts my efficiency at 61% which is very low for BIAB.  If I change it to the volume after boil 12.5 litres (which Ive minused .5 litres for cooling) my efficiency is 76.4% which seems a lot better and what I would normally get for BIAB. 

Make sure you're not confusing Mash Efficiency for Brewhouse Efficiency. Brewhouse represents the percentage of sugar that make it to the fermenter, from the total possible. If a percentage is left behind in the kettle, then efficiency is lowered by that percentage.

So, when gravity stays the same, your statement makes sense in that light. Lower volume = lower efficiency.

Beer Appreciation is the space between pints.

Offline Kevin58

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 12:04:53 PM »
First thing I think of is that your equipment and mash profiles are not set to match your system/process. If you don't have the proper measurements and profiles you are not going to get accurate numbers from the software.

Here is my favorite equipment profile setup tutorial from the guys at Brulosophy... https://youtu.be/QmW7pwQP5mQ

And their companion piece for BIAB mash profile setup... https://youtu.be/VKiEjhxo2oo
If you?re stressing over homebrewing, you?re doing something wrong.
- Denny Conn